[CentOS] user management solution needed

Wed Nov 4 20:28:40 UTC 2009
nate <centos at linuxpowered.net>

m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:

> Don't believe it.

I concur!

> spare), I got it in. openLDAP's docs were *way* insufficient, and the
> tools that come with it are *not* ready for prime time, and user-surly, to
> say the least.

Imagine what it was like even earlier, I vaguely recall the days/nights
back in ~2001 I think it was setting up LDAP to do authentication,
mail routing, and I used samba-tng as well.. even wrote a HOWTO that
I haven't really touched since 2003.

http://howto.aphroland.org/HOWTO/LDAP

Ever since I have actively worked to get LDAP out of my systems. Don't
need single sign on, don't care. Haven't used that particular piece
of wiki software either since, the data is trapped in a zope database.

The previous admin at my current company deployed LDAP, fairly
poorly implemented. So I've been working to remove it as a requirement
slowly but surely, only a couple dozen systems left that rely on it,
authentication reliability has gone way up since we stopped relying
on it. I'm sure a robust LDAP infrastructure can be built, but for
our needs at least it is way overkill and makes my brain hurt, rather
do more fun things. I suppose you could say I have the LDAP 1000-yard
stare.

nate