[CentOS] user management solution needed

Thu Nov 5 00:17:05 UTC 2009
Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com>

On Wed, 2009-11-04 at 18:24 -0500, Brian Mathis wrote:

> You're getting dangerously close to saying "Everything you need to
> know is in the source code", or more succinctly, "RTFM an piss off".
> No one is saying that people shouldn't understand how LDAP works, but
> there's a world of difference between understanding how to install
> LDAP or make a query, and understanding the implications of everything
> you can do with it.
>
> Understanding LDAP has absolutely nothing to do with how to USE LDAP.
> Knowing how to USE it is a people/organization problem, not a
> technical one.  You need to adjust your focus to a higher level
> discussion than what you are having.  This is not about the
> implementation details, it's about the higher-level structure.
>
> Additionally, the fact that you have had to do things in multiple
> different ways in different offices only proves the point here.  Does
> every application really need a completely custom structure?  It might
> be nice for the billable hours, but my guess is that most of those
> offices could probably fit within a common schema, or at least a
> common schema used as a starting point for customization.
>

> P.S. If LDAP was never designed to do user auth, it doesn't matter.
> Pretty much everyone uses it that way, so get over it.
----
I'm not having any problem with LDAP - it works for me. I have nothing
to get over.

Fedora-DS and CentOS-DS are configured by default to use a particular
setup for Users and Groups. I have used both OpenLDAP and Fedora-DS and
they both work fine. If you think that OpenLDAP suffers from a
particular lack of 'higher level structure', then you should probably
address the authors of the software (good luck).

Kwan Lowe says you can install RedHat-DS (and by inference CentOS-DS)
and configure server and replication in under an hour...what's everyone
griping about?

Craig

believed to be clean.