[CentOS] Problem: NVIDIA C73 & 1440x900

Sat Nov 7 21:42:11 UTC 2009
fred smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>

On Sat, Nov 07, 2009 at 09:31:20PM +0000, MIKE - EMAIL IGNORED wrote:
> As mentioned in my previous thread, I can't get my
> Video card: NVIDIA C73 [GeForce: 7100/ nForce 630i]
> to display 1440x900 on my CentOS 5.4 on my HP
> Pavilion with monitor Dell E198WFPV.
>
> Googing around, I see that others have had this problem
> with the NVIDIA card.  In one case, it was solved by
> gaining access to card parameters and setting them
> directly.  I can't find a way to do this on my box.
>
> One solution might be to just insert another video
> card in the bus, and ignore the NVIDIA.  Would this
> work?  I have a card that I know works.
>
> Thanks in advance for your advice.

Mike:

I have no experience with that card, but here are a couple of ideas
that may help:
--are you using a digital (DVI) video cable, or the analog cable from
  video card to monitor? If DVI, try the analog (VGA) cable and see if
  it allows you to select the resolution you need. (my new DVI monitor
  came with a note that said that some cards cannot select the right
  resolution when using the DVI cable, but will work fine with a VGA
  cable--though it worked fine for me with my nvidia card (9800GT))
--have you tried using xrandr to force it to the desired resolution?
  'man xrandr' is your friend.

Fred