[CentOS] Centos HP Pavilion box

Sun Nov 8 16:44:01 UTC 2009
mark <m.roth at 5-cent.us>

Mike -- EMAIL IGNORED wrote:
> On Sat, 07 Nov 2009 11:33:08 -0500, mark wrote:
>
>> Mike -- EMAIL IGNORED wrote:
>>> Has anyone put Centos 5.4 (or ant version on aHP Pavilion box? I'm
>>> having some problems.  For example, I can't get my Dell E198WFPV
>>> 1440x900 monitor to work correctly.
>> What's the video card?
>>
> Video card: NVIDA C73 [GeForce: 7100/ nForce 630i]

ARGH!

Find another nvidia driver, one that supports *that* card. On the machine I use
at work, I've got an older nVidia card (I want to say an 1100), and I found a
driver (<somethingorother>.173<something>), and that supports twinview for two
monitors. A month, month and a half ago, another admin upgraded my system, and
I either rebooted, or something, and lost twinview, and spent an hour getting
rid of the new driver (18?), reinstalling the old driver, and then
reconfiguring X back to what I wanted....

> When I go to: Administration -> Display -> Settings
> and select 1440x900, it changes it to 1280x1024.

Look for an *explicit* nVidia display control somewhere in your administration
menu. The default won't do it right.
<snip>
	mark
--
"Profit-making is a technique for encouraging human enterprise, not an end in
itself." p17, "Have I Ever Lied To You Before?", Jerry Goodis, 1972