[CentOS] Sort logfiles at rotation time

Mon Nov 9 16:34:50 UTC 2009
John Doe <jdmls at yahoo.com>

From: Stephen Nelson-Smith <stephen at atalanta-systems.com>
> I want to be certain that my apache and varnish logfiles are in strict
> date order when rotated.  I'd like to run a sort command against them
> before they're compressed.
>
> I've had a look at the logrotate man page, and it looks like I can use
> a postrotate/endscript to do this.  However, I can see any reference
> in the documentation for how to operate on the file.  All the examples
> seem to take the form of restarting something, or running some other
> standalone script.  What I want to do is run a sort command against
> the newly rotated file - but how do I know what it is called?

I am not sure you can retrieve and cycle through the filenames that were being rotated...
I would create sections for each logfile to rotate (so you know the filename)... which might be tedious if you have many log files.
A script to auto-generate the logrotate conf file in /etc/logrotate.d/ will help...

JD