[CentOS] Problem when opening files after installing OpenOffice 3.1 on CentOS 5.4

Tue Nov 10 00:36:21 UTC 2009
fred smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>

On Mon, Nov 09, 2009 at 09:40:01PM +0100, Mathieu Baudier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have installed OpenOffice 3.1 downloaded from the openoffice.org
> website on CentOS 5.4 x86_64.
>
> The downloaded file is actually an archive containing RPMs.
> I did not use their setup tool but installed directly the RPMs I was
> interested in via 'yum localinstall' (my idea is in the future to put
> them on a custom yum repository, so that they can be managed via
> regular yum install / update).
>
> It works fine, except that when I double-click on, say, *.odt files in
> the file browser I get the following exception:
>
> Cannot open xxxxxxx.odt
> The filename "xxxxxxx.odt" indicates that this file is of type "odt
> document". The contents of the file indicate that the file is of type
> "OpenDocument Text".
>
> If I do a right-click, Open with... > Open Office Writer 3.1, it opens
> the file properly.
>
> 1. Did anybody already experienced that?
> 2. Do you know where I can manage the file types in GNOME?
>
> I have already added Open Office 3.1 as the default application to
> open such files (Right-click, Properties > Open With)

i've removed the default OOo that comes with Centos 5.4 and replaced
it with OOo 3.1.1 and I'm not having that trouble.

Don't know if this relates or not, but did you also install the
RPM file for RedHat menu integration? If you unpack the archive that
contains all the RPM files, there will be a subdirectory containing
a bunch of files, each of which is a set of menu updates for various
distributions. I've never investigated to see what they install, but
I suppose it is possible that they install info that relates to the
app linkage to file types and vice-versa.