[CentOS] Problem when opening files after installing OpenOffice 3.1 on CentOS 5.4

Tue Nov 10 14:01:26 UTC 2009
Digvijay Patankar <dbpatankar at gmail.com>

On 11/10/2009 06:52 PM, Mathieu Baudier wrote:
>> Most probably, the update you installed includes update for OOo. Since
>> your version is vanilla and you are updating it with CentOS repos, this
>> problem appears.
>>
>> The only thing I can suggest is simply remove and install the vanilla
>> OOo and *don't* update it with yum using the CentOS repo. To update it,
>> you should use the OOo's update method. Otherwise this kind of errors
>> will keep on coming.
>>
> First, thanks a lot for your help!
> I will do what you suggest (uninstall/reinstall vanilla OO).
>
> However I'd like to understand better, since I don't think that what
> happened is what you describe:
> - before installing the vanilla OO (3.1), I made sure that I had
> completely 'yum remove' the official OO (2.3)
> - so when I did the standard 'yum update' on my CentOS 5.4
> installation I had no official OO installed, so I don't see how it
> could have messed things up?
>
> Don't you think that this rather due to the fact that I did not use
> the vanilla OO 3.1 setup assistant? (but plain 'yum localinstall' on
> their RPMs instead)
> Or do I miss something from your explanation?
>
> Anyhow, I'll reinstall and let know here what it fixed or not.

Your way of thinking is perfect.
But even when you are not having official OOo, you were having vanilla
OOo. And *unfortunately* sometimes the update rpm from OOo(vanilla) and
OOo(official) are having the *same name*. So when you update, it can
mess with the things(I came accross such instance for fedora+vanilla OOo
3.1).

I *don't* think this is because not using the setup assistance. Moreover
I *don't* even think this is because of missing 'desktop integration' as
suggested by Matheu. Because it will only add an OOo entry to the menu.

If you have the original default.list then you can even try for Janez's
suggestion.