[CentOS] Rebuilding MySQL

Fri Nov 13 09:09:45 UTC 2009
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

Victor Subervi wrote:
> What do? Also, where is the data usually stored? The server co. backed
> that up, but I don't know which file it would be.

With the CentOS version of mysql, its typically in /var/lib/mysql and
the mysql config file is /etc/my.cnf

after installing the mysql server with yum as ceejay explained, do...

    # service mysqld start
    # chkconfig mysqld on

(the first command starts the server, the second command configures the
system so the mysql server will automatically start when rebooted)

if the server is properly running, then you'll see at least one process
if you ...

# ps uww -C mysqld
USER       PID %CPU %MEM    VSZ   RSS TTY      STAT START   TIME COMMAND
mysql     3193  0.0  1.6 136920 16608 ?        Sl   Sep29   0:20
/usr/libexec/mysqld --basedir=/usr --datadir=/var/lib/mysql --user=mysql
--pid-file=/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid --skip-external-locking
--socket=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock