[CentOS] Rescuing svn repo from *IDIOTS*

Fri Nov 13 15:09:53 UTC 2009
Mihai T. Lazarescu <mtlagm at gmail.com>

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 02:55:24PM +0000, Stephen Nelson-Smith wrote:

> A moron has checked in a DVD iso into subversion.
>
> How can I undo the damage, and make the repo a sensible size again?

I fully understand the grief.

Out of the top of my head you can use 'snvadmin dump' to get an
(even larger) dump of the repo as a single file.  Then feed
it to svndumpfiler to reconstruct the repo and filter out the
excess commits.  For me it worked as advertised.

> Also, is there a cunning way to get subversion to say: "Oi! Moron!
> This file is huge, you can't check it in!" ?

There are so called hooks server side that get triggered by
the check in/out/etc.  It may be possible to look at the size
of the changes and reject the operation based on thresholds.
I have never tried that, although.

Hope this helps.

Mihai