[CentOS] Stop K3B CDDB Popup

Fri Nov 13 19:29:10 UTC 2009
Robert <kerplop at sbcglobal.net>

MIKE - EMAIL IGNORED wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 06:22:02 -0800, John Doe wrote:
>

>> From: MIKE - EMAIL IGNORED
>> <m_d_berger_1900 at yahoo.com>

>>> Yes, I unchecked the things in the CDDB section. The popup still
>>> appears.
>>>
>> I have local CDDB, maybe that's why I don't get popups?
>>
>>   $ cat ~/.kde/share/config/k3brc
>>   [Cddb]
>>   cddb server=Http freedb.org:80
>>   cgi path=/~cddb/cddb.cgi
>>   local cddb dirs=~/.cddb/
>>   save cddb entries locally=true
>>   use local cddb query=true
>>   use manual cgi path=false
>>   use remote cddb=false
>>
>> But I never inserted an audio CD, so cannot be sure...
>>
>> JD
>>
> Didn't work.  Then I ran "yum remove k3b" and I still
> had the problem.  The popup top says "KsCD" and I found
> an item on the menu by that name.  I checked "Cache Only"
> in its configuration FWIW.  Also in Control Center ->
> Peripherals -> Storage Media, I clicked "Do Nothing".
> For now, the popups stopped.
>
> Is there a way to remove KsCD?  There is no audio on the system.
>
> Mike.

Kscd is part of the kdemultimedia package:

    [root at mavis rj]# rpm -q --whatprovides /usr/bin/kscd
    kdemultimedia-3.5.4-2.fc6

You might want to worry about what else is in that package before
tossing it:

    [root at mavis rj]# rpm -ql kdemultimedia | wc -l
    1077
    [root at mavis rj]#

You might find a config option in /usr/share/config.kcfg/kscd.kcfg but
that's an XML file.
Another thought is to rename the executable and see what havoc that
causes or look at the spec file in the src.rpm with the idea of getting
rid of the junk the right way.

Good luck!