[CentOS] RAIDs and JBOD?

Mon Nov 16 22:03:19 UTC 2009
Tait Clarridge <tait at clarridge.ca>

On Mon, 2009-11-16 at 21:49 +0000, James Bensley wrote:
> Ok,
> I'm back again...
>

> Thanks again to all for more replies and info, all the info of the
> list members is really appreciated.
>

> So I have found this card and wondered if anyone has a second opinion
> on it
> (http://www.supermicro.com/products/accessories/addon/AOC-SAT2-MV8.cfm). Seeing as it states on the website that the CD that comes with the card has RedHat drivers on it, and I will be using CentOS 5.4 i386 on my little home server everything should work just dandy shouldn't it? I am trying find some examples online of people using this card with CentOS in a software RAID but nothing yet so wondered if anyone here has any input here?
>

> --
> Regards,
> James ;)

If I am not mistaken that card uses the Marvell MV88SX5081 chipset and
uses the sata_mv module (after a little googling).

I have been reading around google and found that support for this was
added in CentOS 4 (sata_mv).

I also saw some posts regarding instability with this driver... sort of
a use at own risk scenario.

Some were saying disabling hw RAID helped, but I haven't used that card
so I couldn't tell you. Maybe someone else on the list has used a card
with the MV88SX5081 chipset?

I have only played with the AOC-USAS-L8i card and that wasn't in Linux
(it was for an Opensolaris build), we just needed to buy SFF-8087 to 4 x
SATA cables to make it work. If you want to use SW raid, I might suggest
going for a card that is just adds SATA ports and has no onboard RAID,
but it is up to you.

Tait