[CentOS] version pinning with yum

Wed Nov 18 16:37:51 UTC 2009
Larry Brigman <larry.brigman at gmail.com>

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 8:33 AM,  <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:
> Well, there's a bug in the globbing for the tcsh with 5.4, and my boss has
> filed a bug report. Meanwhile, I downgraded tcsh on those systems whose
> users use that as their shell.
>
> Until it's resolved, he wants me to pin the version. Googling, I see
> someone a few years ago, answering someone's question, suggested adding
> exclude=openoffice*
> near the top of /etc/yum.conf.
>
> I also see, more recently, several additional yum-related rpms, such as
> yum-versionlock.
>
> Will the first solution work (editing yum.conf), and, if so, for tcsh,
> would I need the asterisk, or would
> exclude=tcsh
> work?

This should work if you are only wanting to exclude one package.
The open office example has the wildcard because it is multiple packages.

Haven't used yum-versionlock but it would need to be loaded on all
machines to apply
the lock.  The other method although sometimes outputting more info when doing
'yum update' works as stated.