[CentOS] New install RAID 1+0

Thu Nov 19 18:54:31 UTC 2009
Benjamin Franz <jfranz at freerun.com>

Craig White wrote:
> I have a new server to setup. 4 hard drives and I had intended it to be
> hardware raid but that's a long story.
>
> Does it make sense to set up the first two hard drives with RAID-0
> partitions and then get through the install and then go back later and
> then create identically sized RAID-0 partitions on the other two drives
> and finally create the RAID-1 mirror from the first to the second?

No. That just makes it so that if you have a failure you won't be able
to boot, which kind of defeats the point of having a RAID array. Make
your /boot partition a RAID1 partition right off the bat. That is so you
can tell GRUB to boot from any of the drives. You can choose RAID10
directly for the rest of your drive with the 5.4 installer.

--
Benjamin Franz

--
Benjamin Franz