[CentOS] High load averages with latest kernel and USB drives?

Fri Nov 20 12:43:02 UTC 2009
Todd Denniston <Todd.Denniston at tsb.cranrdte.navy.mil>

Benjamin Smith wrote, On 11/18/2009 06:11 PM:
> On Tuesday 17 November 2009 15:37:24 Todd Denniston wrote:
>> Benjamin Smith wrote, On 11/17/2009 01:46 PM:
>>> See comments below...

>> you might add another field to top while you are watching, Last used cpu
>>  (SMP), i.e., start top
>> press f
>> press j
>> press enter
>>
>> this should let you see if your process is bouncing between processors.
>
> The process pg_dump is "adhering" fine to processor 1. I see usb-storage
> bouncing between processors - I've seen it on 3, 4, 7 over perhaps a minute.
> What could you recommend next?

try
#2 set the usb-storage on a particular set of processors,
# Note USBSTORPID= line prototyped on CentOS 5 machine not 4.
USBSTORPID=`ps aux |grep usb-storage|head -1 |awk '{print $2}'`
taskset -p -c 4 $USBSTORPID

and still
I have not had the taskset of the USB driver cause faults when used on a dual processor Xeon, but if
any of the above breaks your system you get to keep the chunky bits. :0

so if you try it, keep an eye on it.
reversing the above taskset in your case would I _think_ be:
taskset -p -c 0-7 $USBSTORPID

--
Todd Denniston