[CentOS] system time automatically fowards in time and then comes back to normal

Sun Nov 22 15:30:49 UTC 2009
Akemi Yagi <amyagi at gmail.com>

On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 7:08 AM, nate <centos at linuxpowered.net> wrote:
> ankush grover wrote:
>
>> Earlier this server was syncing time through ntp daemon and below is
>> the ntp.conf file. Now I have set a cronjob which sync the time with
>
> Best not to run NTP inside a ESX VM. I've never gotten NTP to sync
> inside of VMware outside of a kernel with VMI enabled (no versions
> of RHEL support VMI at this time as far as I know).

As quoted by Brian earlier in this thread, the VMware knowledge base
offers their "best practices for Linux guests" in :

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1006427

for VMware products including ESX and ESXi.  According to their
current recommendations, " In all cases use NTP instead of VMware
Tools periodic time synchronization."

The above KB articles gets updated from time to time, so it is a good
idea to check it back occasionally.

Akemi