[CentOS] again, nic driver order

Mon Nov 23 13:52:30 UTC 2009
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

Gordon McLellan wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 8:04 AM, Gordon McLellan <gordonthree at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Digging around google a bit more I came up with different rules, and
>> fingers crossed, they seem to work!
>>
>> SUBSYSTEM=="net", SYSFS{address}=="00:1b:21:4d:c3:e8", NAME="eth0"  # pro/1000gt
>> SUBSYSTEM=="net", SYSFS{address}=="00:e0:81:b5:7a:30", NAME="eth1"  # internal 1
>> SUBSYSTEM=="net", SYSFS{address}=="00:e0:81:b5:7a:31", NAME="eth2"  # internal 2
>>

> Replying to myself here, as I'm going crazy anyway.
>
> It turns out it was just a fluke the server booted up with the correct
> order.  Another reboot and the nic's are all screwed up again, the
> built in and external card sharing eth0, the second built in as eth1.
>
> On the second server, things are the same even with the new rules, nic
> drvier order is seemingly chosen at random with each boot.
>
> Any other thoughts and suggestions!?

Normally, the nic devices are renamed to match the DEVICE= name specified in the
/etc/sysconfig/ifcfg-eth? file with the matching HWADDR= mac address even if
they were detected as something else.  Can you use these and still layer the
bonding on top of them (they don't have to have an IPADDR)?  Note that they get
the name of the DEVICE= inside the file, not the eth? of the filename if they
happen to differ, and it may not work if you don't have matches for every nic.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com