[CentOS] Recommend Mail Server

Mon Nov 23 16:55:38 UTC 2009
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

Susan Day wrote:
> Hi;
> I don't want sendmail. What's a good secure email server that I can
> yum? I really only need smtp right now, but who knows what the future
> will bring?

SMTP only provides for relaying mail.    a mail server typically needs
a  MTA (message transfer agent, smtp such as sendmail, postfix), a MDA
(message delivery agent, such as procmail), and a MUA (message user
agent, such as POP, IMAP, and various local unix mail readers).

any mail server is only as secure as you configure it.     the usual
alternative to sendmail is postfix, which many people find simpler to
configure than sendmail.