[CentOS] Recommend Mail Server

Mon Nov 23 19:25:48 UTC 2009
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

fred smith wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 08:55:38AM -0800, John R Pierce wrote:
>> Susan Day wrote:
>>> Hi;
>>> I don't want sendmail. What's a good secure email server that I can
>>> yum? I really only need smtp right now, but who knows what the future
>>> will bring?
>> SMTP only provides for relaying mail.    a mail server typically needs
>> a  MTA (message transfer agent, smtp such as sendmail, postfix), a MDA
>> (message delivery agent, such as procmail), and a MUA (message user
>> agent, such as POP, IMAP, and various local unix mail readers).
>>
>> any mail server is only as secure as you configure it.     the usual
>> alternative to sendmail is postfix, which many people find simpler to
>> configure than sendmail.
>
> :)
> but then what ISN'T simpler to configure than sendmail?
> :)

Hardly anything, given that it is almost completely done for you in the
supplied /etc/mail/sendmail.mc file.  You just have to fix the
intentionally-borked DAEMON_OPTIONS if you want to receive outside mail,
fill in SMART_HOST if you'd like another machine to relay for you, and
add entries in the access file for networks you want to relay for. And
restarting the sendmail service will do the updates you need after
changing these files.

Beyond that, you'd probably want to add a milter like MimeDefang so you
can do anything complex and non-standard in perl.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com