[CentOS] 3Com 3c940 moel only giving me 100 mb throughput to network switch

Mon Nov 23 19:38:48 UTC 2009
nate <centos at linuxpowered.net>

Gilbert Sebenste wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> As the subject states, I have a 3Com 3c940 Ethernet card to a 1 gb network
> switch. The switch detects it, but it only shows that it is giving me 100
> mb/sec throughput. That card is rated for 1 GB...is there a way to force
> it to try to use 1 GB/sec? System-config-network isn't helping me here.

What kind of switch? many/most? NICs will often set the speed to 100
or 10Mbps if they can't auto negotiate the connection

Check the switch config to make sure that it's not trying to force
the connection to some lower speed.

nate