[CentOS] install CENTOS 5.4 X86_64 failed???

Wed Nov 25 16:59:01 UTC 2009
Kwan Lowe <kwan.lowe at gmail.com>

2009/11/24 mcclnx mcc <mcclnx at yahoo.com.tw>:
> I just download CENTOS 5.4 DVD ISO X86_64 version from internet.  I tried to install it on DELL server and get following error message before RPM start install:
>
>   parted_1.8.1-23.els.x86_64.rpm can NOT open
>
> anyone know why?
>
> Should I download it again from any good site?
>
> If I install CENTOS 5.3 and use yum update, will it go to CENTOS 5.4?

As others have suggested, verify both that the ISO is good and that
the burn is good. To verify the ISO, run md5sum against the ISO file:

md5sum centos_5.4-xx.x.x.iso

The checksum should match the ones posted on the CentOS site or your
mirror. Look at the md5sum.txt file and compare to your computed
checksum. For example:

92cab2977a58ce422130e5c655dc8513  CentOS-5.4-x86_64-bin-DVD.iso

If you have a bad ISO, the easiest way I've found to "repair" it is to
use a torrent client. During the initial torrent download it will
compute the error blocks and only copy those portions. Saves a bunch
of time and guarantees a good download. In some places FTP will never
complete successfully..

Once you have downloaded good iso, burn to disk at a slow speed. 2X
usually works best for me.  Once you burn you can also run md5sum
against the physical DVD or use the built-in disk check in the initial
part of the installation.

BTW, instead of burning the full DVD iso, I generally only burn the
boot.iso from the images directory. This is a much smaller burn and
less prone to error.  I mount the actual DVD iso as a loopback mount
on another server and point my installation to that other server via
the network.