[CentOS] Recommend Mail Server

Wed Nov 25 19:03:30 UTC 2009
Thomas Harold <thomas-lists at nybeta.com>

> Susan Day wrote:
>> Hi;
>> I don't want sendmail. What's a good secure email server that I can
>> yum? I really only need smtp right now, but who knows what the future
>> will bring?
>
> See my slightly prior post on:  Re: [CentOS]
> smtp+pop3+imap+tls+webmail+anti spam+anti virus

We use postfix, dovecot, clamav milter (reject at SMTP time), spf policy
check (with rejecting on SPF_FAIL at SMTP time), and AmavisD-New w/
SpamAssassin for scoring what's left.

For us, reject_invalid_helo_hostname and reject_non_fqdn_helo_hostname
in the smtpd_helo_restrictions ends up blocking probably 80% of all
inbound spam/virus attempts.  In a few years, I have yet to see someone
complain about a false positive reject from those restrictions.  Our
users would see 4x-6x more mail that would have to be virus scanned or
spam scored without those checks.

The reject_unknown_helo_hostname check, OTOH, is much more likely to
reject mail from a valid mail server.  It's a good check, but the false
positive rate for us is in the 1:2000 to 1:3000 rejects will be a false
positive.  So we have a whitelist where we list the HELOs of
misconfigured mail servers of companies that we do business with.  We
had to list a bunch of folks back when we started, but it's trickled
down to about 1 per month now.  And in 90% of the cases, you can tell
from the HELO name that it's a Microsoft Exchange server.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5321#section-2.3.5

Used to use some DNSBL based rejects at SMTP time, but now we just let
that stuff through and have SpamAssassin score it.  Then we use
server-side sieve scripts to quarantine stuff higher then 8.0-9.0
directly into the server-side Junk folder.  (We score and tag at 4.5,
but don't quarantine until 8.0 or 9.0.)