[CentOS] Recommend Mail Server

Thu Nov 26 02:00:34 UTC 2009
Thomas Harold <thomas-lists at nybeta.com>

On 11/25/2009 6:45 PM, Christopher Chan wrote:
> Thomas Harold wrote:
>>
>> We use postfix, dovecot, clamav milter (reject at SMTP time), spf policy
>> check (with rejecting on SPF_FAIL at SMTP time), and AmavisD-New w/
>> SpamAssassin for scoring what's left.
>>
> Have you looked at spamass-milter too?

No, I must have overlooked that.

We're taking advantage of a lot of the amavisd-new features that enhance
SpamAssassin.  OTOH, spamass-milter looks to be a lot simpler to
configure and would've allowed us to reject the super-high scoring spam
(>=25.0) during the SMTP transaction.

(I prefer to only reject on bogus HELO names, virus-infected messages
caught by ClamAV and SPF_FAILs at the moment.  Rejecting on a spam score
is trickier and more subjective.)

One advantage of amavisd-new is that we could, if needed, move the spam
scoring off to a secondary internal server and round trip it back to the
primary mail server.  There are some other tricks that amavisd-new
handles beyond that (such as the policy banks, or the ability to
boost/lower a sender's email address or a sender's domain by a few
points instead of outright whitelisting/blacklisting).