[CentOS] timekeeping on VM - ntpd running

Mon Nov 30 17:14:13 UTC 2009
Thomas Harold <thomas-lists at nybeta.com>

On 11/30/2009 11:34 AM, Jonathan Garden wrote:
> This is really stupid question. But referring to:
> http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2009-October/083791.html
> I don't see any line related to ntpd in my /var/log/messages . Do I need
> to turn-on ntpd for timekeeping on VMs? Some people say not to use ntpd
> on VMs for timekeeping or is it ntpdate cron job? Can someone please
> elaborate on this?

On Xen guests, unless /proc/sys/xen/independent_wallclock is set to 1,
the DomU will slave itself to the Dom0 clock.  So you probably don't
need NTP inside the DomU.  Our Dom0 uses ntpd to keep itself
synchronized with the internal time servers on our LAN.

Whether that is better then using ntpd combined with setting that flag
to zero... I'm not sure.