[CentOS] Change system-wide default configuration for FF and OO with /etc/skel

Mon Nov 30 17:36:24 UTC 2009
Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com>

> Hi,
>
> I'm using a heavily tweaked CentOS 5.4 for desktop installs (here's what
> it looks like: http://www.microlinux.fr/captures.html).
>
> For every app I install, I try to configure a sensible default
> configuration system-wide for all users. For example, once I found a
> nice configuration for XMMS (default skin, loads of plugins, orange On
> Screen Display in a nice font, etcetera), I put my whole ~/.xmms in
> /etc/skel, so that every new user on the system will have the same
> default configuration. I have a script which does that for most of the
> applications I install for users. Even my GNOME desktop is heavily
> tweaked, and similarly, there's a default /etc/skel/.gconf for this.
>
> Now I have two annoyances remaining: Firefox and OpenOffice.org. When
> installing both of these (Firefox from the CentOS repos, OpenOffice.org
> from the RPMS contained in openoffice.org's tarball), the default
> configuration for each one (in ~/.mozilla and ~/.openoffice.org) takes
> no less than 3 MB, which I find a bit puzzling. Since I keep all my
> default configurations in an SVN tree, I find this a bit heavy.
>
> For Firefox, I only change a couple of options (like "Close download
> manager after finishing downloading" and "always ask where to store a
> file"). Similarly, for OpenOffice.org, I change things like
> auto-completion (so users won't call me on a sunday morning asking "Why
> does it try to finish my sentences?").
>
> I guess the "real" configuration must be some small plain text file. But
> then, where? Is there a way not to upload the whole 3 MB of configuration?

There is a file named 'prefs.js' in the
~/.mozilla/firefox/<mumble>.default/ directory.  Here are some other
'magic files' there you might want to 'standardize':

	extensions* (some files and a directory): extensions live here
		(if there are some 'standard' extensions you want all your
		users to have, eg your company's / organization's toolbar)
	localstore.rdf: contains things like your toolbar arangements
		(if there is some 'standard' settings for your company
		 / organization)
	places.sqlite: bookmarks (if there is some 'standard' set of
		bookmarks)