[CentOS] Problem with Yum on CentOS 5.4

Mon Nov 16 18:00:29 UTC 2009
Niki Kovacs <contact at kikinovak.net>

Ralph Angenendt a écrit :

> So can you get a mirrorlist by hand? Can you reach the
> mirrorlist.centos.org server? Are you behind a proxy?
>
> See CentOS-Base.repo for the mirrorhost url and replace $arch with your
> architecture and $releasever with 5 ...

I did quite some experimentation, and I think I found a regressive bug
(well, sort of) in CentOS 5.4. I did this on three distinct machines,
with the same result. Here goes.

In previous versions of CentOS (that is, 5.0 to 5.3), it was possible to
perform a very minimal install by deselecting [ ] GNOME, then selecting
[*] Customize package selection, and then again, in the subsequent
package selection window, unselect everything, even [ ] Base. That way,
in 5.3, I got a system with about 160 packages, which I took as a
starting point for both servers (install httpd, mysql-server, whatever
is needed) and desktops (install X11, GNOME, apps as needed).

But now, this functionality seems broken. If I do the same thing with a
fresh CentOS 5.4 install DVD, I see I now have a minimal set of 191
packages (gtk2? What the ***!?!). On the other hand, neither SSH nor Yum
nor even RPM don't work, as they all claim a missing libnss3.so. Now
here's a Catch22, since I can't install it when RPM is not working
(except by mounting the system with a LiveCD and jump through some
burning loops).

Of course, I took the pragmatic approach and just installed the whole
load of "base" packages. rpm -qa | wc -l tells me I now have a "minimal"
set of no less than 378 packages to have a coherent base system (without
X).

Any idea why the minimal install selection got broken, or some
suggestions on how to solve that problem?

Cheers,

Niki