[CentOS] Problems getting scanner to work from xsane (from Gnome Menu or GIMP)

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Thu Oct 1 22:41:50 UTC 2009

> [...]
> > scanimage: stepped read, 8 bytes...     PASS
> > scanimage: stepped read, 16 bytes...    PASS
> > scanimage: stepped read, 32 bytes...    PASS
> > scanimage: stepped read, 64 bytes...    PASS
> > scanimage: stepped read, 128 bytes...   PASS
> > scanimage: stepped read, 256 bytes...   PASS
> > scanimage: stepped read, 512 bytes...   PASS
> > scanimage: stepped read, 1024 bytes...  PASS
> > scanimage: stepped read, 2048 bytes...  PASS
> > scanimage: stepped read, 2047 bytes...  PASS
> > scanimage: stepped read, 1023 bytes...  PASS
> > scanimage: stepped read, 511 bytes...   PASS
> > scanimage: stepped read, 255 bytes...   PASS
> > scanimage: stepped read, 127 bytes...   PASS
> > scanimage: stepped read, 63 bytes...    PASS
> > scanimage: stepped read, 31 bytes...    PASS
> > scanimage: stepped read, 15 bytes...    PASS
> > scanimage: stepped read, 7 bytes...     PASS
> > scanimage: stepped read, 3 bytes...     PASS
> > server1.wendellfreelibrary.org% echo "$SANE_DEFAULT_DEVICE"
> > hpaio:/net/Officejet_Pro_L7700?ip=192.168.1.253
> >
> > xsane just pops up a little window "scanning for devices", the "no
> > devices available".
> >
> > I believe I have things properly setup with cups:
> >
> > In /etc/cups/printers.conf:
> >
> > <Printer Officejet_Color>
> > Info
> > Location Printer Area
> > #DeviceURI socket://192.168.1.253:9100
> > DeviceURI hp:/net/Officejet_Pro_L7700?ip=192.168.1.253
> > State Idle
> > StateTime 1211313246
> > Accepting Yes
> > Shared Yes
> > JobSheets none none
> > QuotaPeriod 0
> > PageLimit 0
> > KLimit 0
> > OpPolicy default
> > ErrorPolicy retry-job
> > </Printer>
> >

> I am very interested in this problem as I seem to have it myself.  My
> Printer/Scanner is HPc6180.
> Do you have HPLIP installed?
> The version that comes with CentOS is so old that (1.67, I think) that
> if you have a printer newer than
> about four years old it won't be supported.  I seem to be able to fake
> the printing part by selecting another
> printer that should be similar.  The scanning part however is not so
> simple it seems.  I installed HPLIP
> version 3.9.8 and after a grueling effort to satisfy the dependencies,
> except for dbus-python or python-dbus,
> it seems to be referred to both ways.  HPLIP still claims that it is not
> installed even though it is.  Perhaps my version,
> although up to date according to yum, is too old.  In any case my
> printer is supported and I was able to scan
> one frame and then it never worked again.  On any attempt to scan xsane
> puts up a dialog that says "Failed to open device 'v4l:/dev/video':
> Invalid argument" and then quits.  That device I think is the camera
> which was there and working fine when the single scan succeeded.  My
> Windows XP computer is able to scan so I am confident that the printer

The beast works just fine as both a printer and a scanner (I have not
tried to send or receive a fax).  xsane, if given the hpaio:<mumble>
url on the command line, works just fine and scanimage is perfectly
happy to use the URL defined in the SANE_DEFAULT_DEVICE environment
variable.  The problem is that the people who will be using it are
non-techies and want to be able to just click on the Gnome menu (or use
Gimp's File=>Acquire=>scan menu item).  This is where it does not work.
Somehow, sane/xscan is not finding the device by scanning for it,
which seems to be what is needed, since xscan seems to be ignoring
SANE_DEFAULT_DEVICE, if the device is not found first by scanning for it.

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933