[CentOS] Build a Firewall (Can I learn to do this...)

Drew drew.kay at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 23:36:40 UTC 2009

If you want a simple packet filtering firewall then CentOS or one of
the purpose built linux firewall distro's will suit you well. If you
want more then just packet filtering, there are better options.

You haven't mentioned what sort of business applications you are
running. How vital to your business are those servers? Which ones are
internet facing & what apps do you plan to run? Do you also plan to
run the office's general internet connection through this same unit?

The company I work for is in the process of replacing our aging PIX
firewalls and one option we're testing, and are quite pleased with so
far, is Astaro's Security Gateway products. They're linux based so use
the iptables firewall but also offer more then just packet filtering.
There is a cost, around $1500 for a 120, plus subscriptions for
updating the signatures databases on the various filters.

--
Drew

--Marie Curie