[CentOS] [Slightly OT] Data Preservation - More

ML mailinglists at MailNewsRSS.com
Sat Oct 3 15:33:48 UTC 2009

More follow-up as I am discovering and learning:

>> You don't even need the live cd.  Just boot up single user, plug in
>> the
>> USB drive, format it with ext2 or ext3 to match the box and do your
>> cp
>> -r, although there are probably better options (eg dump/restore, tar,
>> etc.) that might do a better job. Warning: there might be more than
>> one
>> partition (eg /boot and/or /home might be a separate partition, esp.
>> if
>> the machines are using LVM).  You might need to cp each partition/
>> file
>> system separately.
>
> I booted to a the CentOS 5.23 LiveCD.
>
> Yes, it looks like LVM is running because I do have VolGroup00-
> LogVol00 in Local Logical Volumes on the desktop.
>
> Can I get the whole VolGroup00 at once, I see an entry in /etc/fstab
> for /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00?

So after booting to the CentOS 5.3 LiveCD, I can get to '/mnt/
VolGroup00-LogVol00'

doing a: 'sudo du -h --summarize /mnt/VolGroup00-LogVol00' I get: 28GB
used.

So can I 'rsync -av /mnt/VolGroup00-LogVol00/. /mnt/disc/sda1/.'
(sda1 is the 500GB USB Drive that I am wanting to put the data on.)

Best,
-ML