[CentOS] More about firewalling

Ryan Wagoner rswagoner at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 12:16:42 UTC 2009

If you just want public IPs passed to downstream devices than bridging
two NICs will allow you to accomplish this. Otherwise you will need to
setup NAT port forwards or 1:1 NAT. You assign the external IP and
internal IP when creating the NAT rule.

The device only needs to be as fast to handle the Mbps you need routed
from your ISP. Having multiple IPs isn't going to affect the speed by
much since the destination IP address is in the packet header. The
firewall is going to check the header and determine if the packet gets
passed through, blocked, or if NAT is going to be performed.

Ryan