[CentOS] Disc layout advice

Joseph L. Casale

JCasale at activenetwerx.com
Tue Oct 6 17:28:46 UTC 2009

I have a DAS w/ 6 750Gb and 6 1Tb discs I am setting up using Linux raid.
The controller is a POS so each disc is exported as an R0 single volume.

I used a parted and fdisk script to create 1 max size partition labeled as
Linux Raid Autodetect and created the first r6 array w/ mdadm. I normally
create and mark partitions as raid or lvm so people know what's going on.

The first md array is obviously too large for fdisk and parted doesn't create
lvm partitions does it?

Should I just pvcreate the raw /dev/md0 and not worry about creating an lvm
partition on it, or should/(can?) I?

Thanks!
jlc