[CentOS] Linux CD Stores

nate centos at linuxpowered.net
Thu Oct 8 04:20:29 UTC 2009

ML wrote:
> HI All,

> downloading and burning myself. I am actually planning on ordering
> CentOS 5.4 media when available to support the project.

Most distros/OSs provide that service built in -
https://shipit.ubuntu.com/
http://www.openbsd.org/orders.html
http://www.debian.org/CD/vendors/
http://en.opensuse.org/Buy_openSUSE
http://store.mandriva.com/?cPath=149
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Distribution/OnlineVendors
http://www.centos.org/modules/tinycontent/index.php?id=24

Myself I never trusted those CD burning shops, I recall on a
couple of occasions getting bad CDs back in the day(which
given the number of times I bought such CDs the ratio was
pretty high). Much happier with real pressed CDs.

Then there are the various linux/open source events where
endless distributions hand out free CDs.

> Does anyone think these store make any money? (Linux CD Mall, Linux CD
> Shop, Linux Central...etc)

Not off the CDs.

> Wouldn't someone selling a set for a few dollars plus shipping clean up?

I wouldn't think so, not off the CDs alone. Where is the
value add?

Demand just isn't there. Even when I was still on dialup
v90 for the most part I still downloaded ISOs. Leave it
on overnight and it's usually done by morning. Prior to
those days on occasion I'd buy a CD, my memory from back
then is foggy.

Which I suspect is why most of those other places like
linux central and stuff offered things like stuffed tuxes,
stickers, and other gadgets. Still have a few of those
myself..

nate