[CentOS] resolv.conf rewritten every reboot. How to figure out who and why?

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Thu Oct 8 20:29:49 UTC 2009

Dave wrote:
> My machine has a static IP, with dhcp and IPv6 disabled. Every time I
> reboot, some process rewrites /etc/resolv.conf, including a comment
> about dhcpclient.

Is that dhcpclient, or dhclient?

> The only package I have installed that shows up in
> "rpm -qa|grep -i dhcp" is dhcpv6-client-1.0.10-16.el5, and nothing in
> there is named dhcpclient.

What is the output of these commands?

rpm -qa | grep dhc
# to see what's actually installed as a package

find / -name dhclient
# to see if and where is the executable installed

grep -rI dhclient /etc | grep -v selinux | grep -v /ifup-eth: \
	| grep -v /ifdown-eth:
# to see if it's called from somewhere else than the regular places

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/