[CentOS] resolv.conf rewritten every reboot. How to figure out who and why?

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Thu Oct 8 21:58:21 UTC 2009

Joseph L. Casale wrote:
>> Yes, I know the docs. What I was saying is - it will not help finding
>> the cause, which is what the OP requested. It will just make the problem
>> go away.
>
> Uhm, am I missing something? It *is* the cause?
> Its designed to do just what it's doing, and here's a real shocker, it's doing it:)

Take a step back and look at the whole picture.

Your suggestion will override a DHCP-related config item somewhere else.

Yes, it will likely stop the system from over-writing resolv.conf - in
that, you are correct.

No, it will not satisfy the requirement of the the o.p. which was, I
quote: "At this point, I am as (or more) interested in pointers
regarding how to find the answer as I am in the actual answer. Please
teach me to fish."

What I'm trying to do here is to help the o.p. to find what causes the
modification of resolv.conf, not how to cover up the issue. It's easy to
hide the problem, either do what you suggest, or edit away
make_resolv_conf(). But the underlying cause will remain, and may
resurface if these changes are undone.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/