[CentOS] DNS is confusing! (I really need some help understanding!)

ML

mailinglists at MailNewsRSS.com
Fri Oct 9 15:21:29 UTC 2009

OK, I am confused and DNS is the reason.

So, Comcast, 13 public IP's bound to my modem.

Each public IP has a DNS name from comcast (they assign it
automatically) like:

173.13.167.209 --> 173-13-167-209-sfba.hfc.comcastbusiness.net

I created a DNS entry at GoDaddy for 173.13.167.209 that is
'inhouse.theindiecompanyllc.com'

When eth0 is alive, I see that it tells me my name is 173-13-167-209-sfba.hfc.comcastbusiness.net
  since I am using a comcast DNS Server.

So if I setup my own internal caching name server for 173.13.167.209
then I have a third name or can I just use the GoDaddy DNS entry I
gave it? Do I then set my systems to use my local name server for
their information and not Comcast? How does that effect internet
browsing where I dont have entries for google.com, etc in my local
name server?

Lastly, If I have two NICS (one is 173.13.167.209 and second private
internal IP) For my local name server I would have two entries, one
for public and one for the private card so I can do something like
'inhouse.local' and get intranet or ssh inhouse.local, etc correct?

I see that Paul Heinlin put out a DNS tutorial here: http://www.madboa.com/geek/soho-bind/
Paul, I appreciate this!

-ML