[CentOS] resolv.conf rewritten every reboot. How to figure out who and why?

Dave tdbtdb+centos at gmail.com
Sat Oct 10 00:08:38 UTC 2009

On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 2:20 PM, Ray Van Dolson <rayvd at bludgeon.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 08, 2009 at 01:32:39PM -1000, Dave wrote:
>> Wow, there it is. I guess I could've found it by doing a careful
>> search of the initscripts package, which contains/owns
>> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0, which was the only script
>> in /etc/ that invokes /sbin/dhclient, which a comment in
>> /etc/resolv.conf revealed to be the program that wrote it.
>
> Just one of those things you kind of pick up as you go along and
> remember.  Tribal knowledge if you will.
>
> Where exactly did you attempt to look first?

   man 5 resolv.conf
Not saying it was smart.
second try was
   rpm -qf /etc/resolv.conf
on the theory that some package ought to own every config file and
have some sort of documentation about the files it owns. Not much of a
theory.

>I'm just trying to think
> of where a more obvious place to look would be first.  Perhaps a man
> page documenting all the ifcfg type settings?  man ifcfg?

That would have taken me just as long as this process did, since I had
no connection in my brain initially between resolv.conf and ifcfg. I
think if there was an obvious good candidate, we would not be talking
about this, I'd have found my answer right away on my own.

I think Meenoo Shivdasani probably had the best idea, to google the
message I found in my modified /etc/resolv.conf.

best,
Dave