[CentOS] GPT?

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Sat Oct 10 02:05:47 UTC 2009

ML wrote:
> Hi Joseph,
>>> I try to proceed and I get: boot partition is on a disk using GPT
>>> partitioning scheme but this machine cannot boot using GPT.
>>> I have never seen this before.
>>> Advice?
>> Sure, drop into a shell (boot to a rescue mode for example) and
>> relabel
>> the discs.
>> Use parted and its mklabel command and change it to msdos.
> Can I do this from an install though? Or should I use a LiveCD? The
> drives in her ewont boot at this point.

boot the installl CD and get into the rescue shell (from the startup
menu), then use something like

    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1024 count=1024

note thats sda and not sda1 or whatever, we want the raw device and not
the partition.

then reboot, and the disk should look like a virgin brand new drive.  or
from that same rescue shell, use parted/mklabel as he said above...