[CentOS] RSync Issues

News Listener news.listener at googlemail.com
Sat Oct 10 23:05:18 UTC 2009

man rsync

-i, --itemize-changes       output a change-summary for all updates
     --list-only             list the files instead of copying them
     --ignore-existing       skip updating files that exist on receiver
-v, --verbose               increase verbosity

--existing, --ignore-non-existing
     This tells rsync to skip creating files (including directories) that do not exist yet on the destination. If this option is combined
with the --ignore-existing option, no files will be updated (which can be useful if all you want to do is delete extraneous files).

     This option is a transfer rule, not an exclude, so it doesn't affect the data that goes into the file-lists, and thus it doesn't affect
deletions. It just limits the files that the receiver requests to be transferred.

--ignore-existing
     This tells rsync to skip updating files that already exist on the destination (this does not ignore existing directories, or nothing
would get done). See also --existing.

     This option is a transfer rule, not an exclude, so it doesn't affect the data that goes into the file-lists, and thus it doesn't affect
deletions. It just limits the files that the receiver requests to be transferred.

     This option can be useful for those doing backups using the --link-dest option when they need to continue a backup run that got
interrupted. Since a --link-dest run is copied into a new directory hierarchy (when it is used properly), using --ignore existing will
ensure that the already-handled files don't get tweaked (which avoids a change in permissions on the hard-linked files). This does mean that
this option is only looking at the existing files in the destination hierarchy itself.