[CentOS] 10 Year old IT Infrastructure

mark m.roth at 5-cent.us
Mon Oct 12 00:41:17 UTC 2009

Brian Mathis wrote:
>>> This is by far the best approach if you want to bring them along.  It
>>> has to be THEIR decision, so the best way to get them to make that
>>> decision is to sit back and say "OK, if you don't want to upgrade that
>>> is fine, but we still have to make sure we are prepared for when that
>>> hardware fails, so here is what we'll do ..."
>>> That will probably scare the crap out of them enough to change their
>>> minds :-)
Got it: what you need to do is set up a meeting to prepare a disaster recovery
plan. Most business have, or are willing to look at them (at least
post-Katrina). Make sure that they know just how *long* it will take to bring
new systems online if there's a fire, or flood, or hurricane, or twister....

Then bring up the age of the servers and maintenance. As part of the plan, of
course, spec out replacement hardware, and any performance increases it would

Right, breathing is addictive, as shown by the withdrawal
symptoms. - Steve Gruenwald