[CentOS] Simple way to banish IP addresses ?

Amos Shapira amos.shapira at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 20:20:03 UTC 2009

There is an iptables geoip module to allow you to specify countries. I
never used it thought.

The advantage of denyhosts is that it not only bans addresses but also
shares banned hosts with a network of a few thousands of installations
(an opt-in option), so you are not on your own.

Moving ssh to a none standard port is the best thing you can do under
the circumstances you describe, IMHO.

Another option might be to tar-pit attackers (using iptables) - that
way you can slow down their traffic so hopefully they'll eat less of
your bandwidth.

-Amos