[CentOS] timekeeping on VMware guests

Akemi Yagi amyagi at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 22:21:49 UTC 2009

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 2:42 PM, Carlos Santana <neubyr at gmail.com> wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> I am having time-drift issues on my CentOS VM. I had referred to
> following documentation:
> http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/VMWare_Server , however it didn't
> help. I used kickstart for creating this VM and I am listing important
> steps in ref to timekeeping issue. Any comments or suggestion would be
> appreciated.

The knowledgebase article referenced in the VMWare Server wiki article:

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1006427

is the best source as far as I can tell.  This is because VMWare keep
the contents up-to-date.  As suggested in there, you may want to try
the 5.4 kernel -164 (already available for CentOS) without using
clocksource or divider= options.  This kernel has patches that were
offered by VMWare developers to address the time drift issues.

Akemi