[CentOS] Dell Equallogic

James A. Peltier jpeltier at fas.sfu.ca
Wed Oct 14 18:36:01 UTC 2009

On Tue, 13 Oct 2009, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:

> Hmm.. what kind of problems do you have with snapshots?

Let's see

They take up 16MB  of space regardless of the amount of data that changes.
A single bit changes and 16MB is taken up.  This is not tunable.

Mounting a snapshot requires the generation of a new UUID for the file
system in order to be able to use it.  Perhaps this is a XFS limitation,
but unlike ZFS they aren't immediately available.  We need to perform this
action extensively to backup file systems and allow for quick data

There is no GNU/Linux interface to automating the snapshot process. Sure
there is a telnet interface but it changes from version to version.  I
know because I've spoken with engineers to discuss this issue.  I wrote
software to talk to the EQL using the interface.  There are talks of an
SDK for developers but nothing has materialized.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great device for cheap storage compared to
competitors but there are obvious limitations that you need to address in
your requirements if you intend to deploy it.

James A. Peltier
Systems Analyst (FASNet), VIVARIUM Technical Director
HPC Coordinator
Phone   : 778-782-6573
Fax     : 778-782-3045
E-Mail  : jpeltier at sfu.ca