[CentOS] Dell Equallogic

nate centos at linuxpowered.net
Wed Oct 14 19:22:36 UTC 2009

John R Pierce wrote:

> if you have a SAN that supports logical volumes that have snapshot and
> grow and such, I'm not sure why you'd bother with LVM on top of that, it
> would just further obfuscate things.

Makes life easier for me when using MPIO, auto detection of the
volume no matter what path it shows up with. And I can slap an
easily readable "label" on the volume so I know what it is.

Sample log from one of my oracle snapshot procedures:

And it allows me to better control growth with thin provisioning,
some apps are not thin provisioning friendly so I restrict them
with LVM, knowing that I can easily do an online resize at any
time without touching the array.