[CentOS] allowing users to issue the "shutdown" command

Robert kerplop at sbcglobal.net
Sat Oct 17 01:21:02 UTC 2009

Buz Davis wrote:
> I am running CentOS 5.3 and have just the two accounts "root" and
> "buz".  I would like to be able to issue "shutdown" from the account
> "buz", and thus created
> /etc/shutdown.allow with the single entry  "buz" (without any quotes).
> I still
> get the error message "only root can do this" (or something similar)
> even if I include the '-a' option on the shutdown command.  What am I
> missing ?

I'm not going to verify this right now but I believe "buz" can execute
the command "poweroff" to shutdown -h now
and "reboot" to shutdown -r now.

        [rj at mavis rj]$ ls -l `which poweroff`
        lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 Apr 2 2009 /usr/bin/poweroff ->
        consolehelper
        [rj at mavis rj]$ ls -l `which reboot`
        lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 Apr 2 2009 /usr/bin/reboot ->
        consolehelper
        [rj at mavis rj]$