[CentOS] iscsi target for C5.x

Ross Walker rswwalker at gmail.com
Sat Oct 17 03:53:05 UTC 2009

On Oct 16, 2009, at 8:24 PM, John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:

> Juergen Gotteswinter wrote:
>> i use the atrpm iscsitarget for a long time now in high traffic
>> setups.
>> it performs very well, and is rock solid. no problems until now. go
>> for
>> it :) but disabling the atrpms repo after installing the iscsitarget
>> wouldnt be a bad idea.
>>
>> i wont go with userspace solutions like tgt, my benchmarks showed
>> much
>> more higher system load, lower transfer rates and lags from time to
>> time. go for the kernel implemention
>>

> according to what I read, tgt uses kernel drivers that are built into
> the 2.6.x kernel including rhel5.3 and are based on the IET drivers.

Not really one of the original developers of IET got together with one
of the original developers of open-iscsi and they made a universal
target, tgt. The target was designed to handle iSCSI, FCoE, and more
as plugins. The kernel module handles the plugin framework part, but
all the iSCSI processing and IO happens in user space.

It's a nifty piece of software, but in my opinion it's like a Swiss
army knife, does a lot, but is complicated and doesn't really do any
one thing very well.

IET was designed to be simple, do iSCSI and only iSCSI and do it well.

As for building from tarball, there is an RPM spec file included in
there, so to build an RPM you just download the tarball then do a:

# rpmbuild -ta iscsitarget-1.4.18.tar.gz

Then after a little while, presto, RPMs in /usr/src/redhat/RPMS.

You of course need, gcc, kernel-devel, make, patch, binutils, rpm-
build, redhat-rpm-config and openssl-devel installed first as a
prerequisite.

-Ross