[CentOS] Samba/BackupPC under CentOS-5.3

Timothy Murphy

gayleard at eircom.net
Sat Oct 17 13:53:19 UTC 2009

I'm almost completely ignorant about samba on Windows machines,
In particular I know nothing about Windows permissions,
if that is relevant here.

I am running BackupPC on a CentOS-5.3 machine.
It works perfectly for backing up Linux folders,
but I have great difficulty extending it to Windows clients.

To be precise, I have a share called "EA Games D"
on a machine running Windows XP Pro.
I can access it through Samba:
-------------------------------------
m at rose ~]$ sudo mount -t cifs harriet:"EA Games D" /mnt/win
Password:
[tim at rose ~]$ ls /mnt/win
The Sims 2
-------------------------------------
But I do not seem able to back it up with BackupPC .
In my BackupPC conf file for harriet I have under Smb Settings
        "EA Games D"

But when I run a backup (incremental or full)
I get the error in /var/log/BackupPC/LOG
2009-10-17 14:43:43 Got fatal error during xfer (tree connect failed:
NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME)

Any advice or suggestions gratefully received.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net