[CentOS] Caught between a Red Hat and a CentOS

Kwan Lowe kwan.lowe at gmail.com
Sun Oct 18 12:17:13 UTC 2009

> I'm pretty sure most corporations will continue to pay to use Red Hat.
> It's pretty tough to go the head of IT and tell them you want to use
> an OS without a corporate support license. Support is a security
> blanket, if nothing else -- and it's a place to lay blame if something
> goes wrong. (Though there are some exceptions.)

If my company is in any way representative, then RedHat has nothing to
fear from CentOS. Though a few of the engineers use CentOS as
workstations or POC machines, our policy is that we have commercial
support of our production software. We have run into issues with other
applications that are no longer under support.

CentOS has actually played a large role in getting RedHat into our
environment. Without the ability to demo POCs, I think it would be
unlikely that we would have tried Linux.

(I of course am not speaking for my company in any way.)