[CentOS] Backing up a centos serveR? how to ? Newbie question..

Bobby bobby at d4business.com
Mon Oct 19 14:28:36 UTC 2009

On Monday 19 October 2009 08:56:48 RedShift wrote:
> David Suhendrik wrote:
> > may be rsync help You
> > Or u can try raid 0[mirrorig]
> > for replicate failover triying drbd and heartbeat but I've tested and
> > unsuccessfull on my zimbra machines
>
> RAID IS NOT A BACKUP.
>
> I repeat.
>
> RAID IS NOT A BACKUP.
>
> Nor is replication.

Exactly. RAID above RAID 0 does provide redundancy towards hard disk errors.
It makes the system more robust. But the data is still in the same set of
drives. Backup, as with scp, rsync and cron to a different computer is what
you need. We backup our computers every hour with the above. It's very low
impact and all we can loose are some changes in the last two hours if the
system dies during rsync.

David, RAID 0 is not mirroring. What it does is extend capacity over two or
more drives. RAID 1 is mirroring.

Bobby