[CentOS] Caught between a Red Hat and a CentOS

Ray Van Dolson rayvd at bludgeon.org
Mon Oct 19 20:19:41 UTC 2009

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 09:12:01AM +1300, Clint Dilks wrote:
> Rainer Duffner wrote:

> >> The only guy I personally know who went with RedHat "because their
> >> support was included for free with our servers" reported the same.
> >>
> >> I'm a bit surprised (and disappointed) to hear such negative
> >> testimonials about RedHat support.
> >>
> >> Do others have different experience?http://download.openoffice.org/other.html#en-US
> >>
> >> Could it be the the quality of support is tiered by how much you pay,
> >> enough to make a difference?

As long as we're sharing anecdotal stories... my experiences have
typically been really really good with RH Support.

Perhaps our issues were atypical in that most of them were well
troubleshot locally ahead of time, software bug type issues.  We
typically had a BZ already open and were able to escalate to engineers
and get a lot of high quality give and take both in the SR and the BZ.

The first line of support I can imagine would be fairly typical in that
you'll be asked to try a lot of basic things first that may seem
trivial and insulting...

Ray