[CentOS] Monitoring a remote server with Conky ?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 16:12:02 UTC 2009

Niki Kovacs wrote:
> Les Mikesell a écrit :
>
>> If you use X remotely much, just take the whole desktop with freenx on the
>> server and the NX client that you can download from http://www.nomachine.com.
>>
>> It is very efficient and lets you disconnect/reconnect with everything still
>> running, even from a different client - or even platform.
>>
> Yeah, I'm a happy user of FreeNX already... although I don't use it for
> the kind of problem at hand.
>
> I've been working for a small company recently who run Ubuntu 8.10 on a
> server, and all their desktops are in fact FreeNX clients connected to
> that one machine, so folks can work even from their homes. Works great.

You can run multiple NX sessions if you want your 'own' desktop plus one
for monitoring/managing other systems.  However they are likely to pick
the same display number and conflict if you are the first connection to
each freenx server.  You can avoid this problem by changing the
DISPLAY_BASE setting in /etc/nxserver/node.conf (after copying from
node.conf.sample).  It's also much nicer for interacting with VMware
guests than the VMware console tool after the network is configured and
working.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com