[CentOS] using Linux as a NAS / SAN device

Rudi Ahlers rudiahlers at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 19:54:14 UTC 2009

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 7:15 PM, Alan McKay <alan.mckay at gmail.com> wrote:
>> We have decided to get the Thecus 8800N NAS devices at the end of the
>> day, since they're about 40% cheaper than having to build one. They
>> run a Linux based OS, and uses software RAID, but I can't build a new
>> server at this price, even with software RAID.
>
> Hey Rudi, I'm finding myself tracing your footsteps here as we are
> looking at going down a similar path.
>
> How is that Thecus working out for you?
>
> I googled it and hit this on Tigert Direct
>
> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4831685&csid=ITD&body=MAIN#detailspecs
>
> though it is not clear to me how many drives that comes with - looks
> like only 1 I guess.
>
> thanks,
> -Alan
>

> --
> “Don't eat anything you've ever seen advertised on TV”
>         - Michael Pollan, author of "In Defense of Food"

Hi Alan,

The client who would have used this pulled out on number 99, so I
haven't actually unpacked the NAS and used it.... We shipped it back
to the suppliers.

But from that I can see on the demo units, it's very easy to use and
works quite well as an off-the-shelf option. Price wise, I couldn't
put together a 2U SuperMicro with 8 drives at the same price. This
device would cost me about 15 - 20% cheaper than building a similar
system with a SuperMicro server + 8 drives, in our country.

Here's the product URL:
http://www.thecus.com/products_over.php?cid=11&pid=177&set_language=english

--
Kind Regards